- Open Access
Welcome to the Journal of Immune Based Therapies and Vaccines (JIBTV)
© Moss; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2003
- Received: 03 November 2003
- Accepted: 06 November 2003
- Published: 06 November 2003
This new journal is dedicated to all aspects of therapeutic applications of immunology. From the likes of Jenner to Salk, vaccinologists have been able to translate immunologic approaches into substantial public health benefits . With greater understanding of basic immunopathogenesis new approaches to vaccines have now been developed which hold promise for preventing many life threatening diseases in the future . In spite of such progress, little is known about the specific immunological mechanisms involved in protection for efficacious vaccines. Further work in this area promises to optimize vaccines in the future. Immune based therapies (IBTs), in contrast, are at an earlier stage of their evolution. However, progress is being made rapidly and in areas such as autoimmunity, cytokine based therapies are already replacing the standard of care . In addition, antibody and cellular based IBTs are witnessing a renaissance [4, 5]. Similar to vaccines, the immune correlates of IBTs' therapeutic action are incompletely understood. Immune based therapies, including therapeutic vaccines, hold the promise of complementing existing therapies and in some cases providing more selective action and less toxicity than current therapies. Thus, in this rather large area of expanding knowledge, there will continue to be new insights into areas related to immune based therapies and vaccines.
Because of the rapid developments cited above, there is a need for a journal that is focused solely on immune based therapies and vaccines. This area encompasses many different disciplines as immune based therapies and vaccines are now being developed for infectious diseases, transplantation, cancer, allergic diseases, and autoimmune diseases. The goal of this journal is to provide an objective peer review process conducted by those knowledgeable in the field while not impeding the publication of important insights into the state of the art. The clear advantage of this journal is the rapid dissemination of quality scientific work that can be fully accessed via the Internet utilizing open access, which allows researches access to research without the necessity of a subscription. Accepted articles are also cited in PubMed. As your colleagues have full access to this journal, published articles should provoke additional scientific hypothesis, thereby advancing the field. Thus, the editorial board is committed to assisting you to help make the Journal of Immune Based Therapies and Vaccines an important database for information pertaining to therapeutic immunology. We welcome your original research, reviews and commentaries to this journal.
- Salk J, Bennett B, Lewis LJ, Ward E, Younger JS: Studies in human subjects on active immunization against poliomyelitis. JAMA. 1953, 151: 1081-1098.Google Scholar
- Hilleman MR: Overview of the needs and realities for developing new and improved vaccines in the 21st century. Intervirology. 2002, 45: 199-211. 10.1159/000067911.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Furst DE, Breedveld FC, Kalden JR, Smolen JS, Antoni CE, Bijlsma JW, Burmester GR, Cronstein B, Keystone EC, Kavanaugh A, Klareskog L: Updated consensus statement on biological agents for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and other rheumatic diseases (May 2002). Ann Rheum Dis. 2002, 61 (suppl II): ii2-ii7.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Stockwin L, Holmes S: Antibodies as therapeutic agents: vive la renaissance!. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2003, 7: 1133-1152. 10.1517/eobt.3.7.1133.21273.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Ribas A, Butterfield LH, Glapsy JA, Economou JS: Current developments in Cancer vaccines and cellular immunotherapy. J Clin Oncol. 2003, 21 (12): 2415-2432. 10.1200/JCO.2003.06.041.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article: verbatim copying and redistribution of this article are permitted in all media for any purpose, provided this notice is preserved along with the article's original URL.